Sunday, August 26, 2007

Fun, Blessing, and Sorrow

Yesterday was so much fun! After the luau at school, my parents took me back to the hotel with them to stay another night there. I got to sleep in which was glorious! Then, we walked along the beach. It wasn't too hot until the very end. There were cute little sandpipers that always hunch up when they run away from the water and poke their beaks deep into the sand in-between. I picked up some little shells as well. I even got to see some people surfing for once.

We finished getting ready then loaded in the car to go back up to St. Augustine. I tried to mess around with my little GPS device on the palm I got for being in the Honors' program- we needed to find a Sonic Drive-In... my favorite! We went to one in St. Augustine, so by that time, we were starving! I got french toast sticks, an extra long coney, and a banana cream pie shake. Yum!

Next, I wanted to see the Gator Farm! I can't believe how many alligators and crocodiles there are! This place had every one of the species, too. I saw albino ones, ones 15 feet long, ones with swordfish-like snouts, ones with bug eyes, baby ones, and ones that ate fat rats for dinner. They also have tortoises, parrots, and other exotic birds like the stork (Which is actually one of the ugliest things I've ever seen! I hope they don't bring babies- I think the poor kids would die of fear!). The only part I didn't like was seeing HUGE spiders. I'm really hoping they're not the norm on campus. They are bright colors with long segmented legs and make mondo webs! After shuddering at the arachnids, we watched a few feeding shows (birds and crocs) then went through the gift shop. I just got my typical smashed penny souvenir and mom got some postcards.

Next, it was on to dinner at the _____ (I'll think of the name later...). We had talked to the concierge at the hotel who set up a VIP thing for us. So, we enjoyed the cheaper early-bird special which came with the salad bar. Our waiter was a very nice redhead who was willing to put up with our chatter and jokes. I even got to use his crumb scooper thing. It really gets them off the table and apparently you do it every time you take a plate away from the guest. Who knew? Dad ordered prime rib with mashed potatoes and I got shrimp scampi. Mom ordered clam chowder to have while Dad and I ate our salads and fruit that we chose. He also brought us a nice assortment of bread. We even got free dessert which was lava cake! But, wait, I'm not finished yet... Mom and I got roses just 'cause. We guess the concierge used the excuse that I was going to college as a celebration thing. Pretty fun!

To be completely ready for college life, we of course had to stop at Wal-Mart where I picked up some last minute things.

To top it all off, we went back to the hotel and enjoyed the Lazy River tubes again. Then, I discovered the hot tub and tried swimming around the (now) chilly pool. Finally, Mom had heard a rumor that fireworks were going off that night over the ocean on a barge and sure enough... we saw the whole show from the pool deck.

Today was pretty amazing too. We went to church and the similarities were crazy. Well, sovereign, of course! They named the mini-streets in their parking lot: Calvin Court, Spurgeon Blvd, and Edwards Rd.!! Plus, they have a hallway devoted to the Reformers (nice plaques with pictures and info), and Bible translations (some of the original pages are in the frames!). Pastor Roy Hargrave was right on and is in close contact with Grace Community, Master's Seminary, and even Phil Johnson! The college preacher even quoted A.W. Tozer! Whad'ya know? I really enjoyed meeting everyone and can't wait to come back next week. Mom and Dad were so thankful to God for the church. It's just what I needed to find to grow in the midst of this secular university. I've already had my eyes opened in several ways... but, in a way, I always knew this kinda thing was out there. I don't feel that I was naive... just protected. I know He will continue to do so as I look to my first classes tomorrow.

After church, we had our "last supper" at Bubba Gump's. Hehe. We had hush pups, coconut shrimp, and caesar salad. I even got a cool light-flashing cup with the blueberry slushie I ordered. Somebody got rich off of making a restaurant off of Forest Gump... crazy.

Finally, we headed back to the school.

It was SO hard to say goodbye to Dad and Mom. Dad's visiting in 2 months and in 4, I see everyone again... but, sometimes I still feel like a little girl. It's not that I can't handle college... It was just the realization that life will never be the same. I'll never truly be a daughter in that Arlington house anymore. I'll just be a visitor. I know we are meant to be taught and nurtured by our parents and then we are let go. But, in my case at least, it's only because I'm too big for the nest, not because I don't want to be with my family. New friends, new family, new home. Thank the Lord that He never changes, remains the same, and had me live in the 21st century so I can call and e-mail and IM and everything else with the people I love and miss.

As my beloved Mrs. Frisk and Tozer would say:

"So let us begin with God."

1 comment:

Leila said...

Just *enjoy* this new adventure and soak-up all the amazing new events, people, and lessons God is going to bring into your life. I'm so thankful you have a strong church there!